UNICEF Global     TR

Syria Emergency Response


OVERVIEW

The Syrian refugee crisis is now in its 7th year, with no end in sight. Millions have been forced to flee their homes to neighbouring countries, their futures uncertain. Children continue to pay the highest price and bear the heaviest burden in this crisis: their education, their hopes and dreams, and even their lives, are all at risk.
 
Turkey is now home to the largest refugee population in the world , with about 3.6 million Syrians currently registered – 1.4 million of whom are children. Less than 10% of Syrian refugees live in 21 official camps along the Syrian border, while the remaining over 90% reside in host communities – mostly in the southeast, but also increasingly in Istanbul, Izmir, Ankara and other large cities in the north and west. Despite the significant efforts made by the Government of Turkey, UNICEF and partners on the ground, the scale of this crisis has put enormous strain on the country’s infrastructure and basic services, particularly in host communities.
 
UNICEF Turkey Country Office, Yukarı Dikmen Mah. Alexsander Dubçek Cd. 7/106, 06450 Çankaya/Ankara. Telephone: +90 312 454 1000 Fax: +90 312 496 1461 E-mail: ankara@unicef.org